Friday, July 30, 2010

And now a word from my wife...


Here are some wise words from Janna, who has actually been on the ship more than I have!!

I wanted to share with you a number of books I am bringing to the ship or already have there. This way we can share reading them and you don't have to bring duplicates.

How I First Believed - Wally Lamb
House Rules - Jodi Picoult
Piano Teacher - Lee
Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Diaz
Mudbound - Jordan
Inheritance of Loss - Desai
Away - Amy Bloom
Constance and Faith - Routledge

And some notes about my experience on the ship -

I use lots of magnets, ones with hooks and ones with clips (good for pictures)

I bring extra hangers - plastic ones are good, and you can leave them there, since they don't cost much (a couple dollars for a dozen)

A shoe holder that fits under the bed - also easy to leave there instead of having to ship home.

Several small plastic boxes or baskets to hold makeup, toiletries, etc.

I have a great plastic holder with thirty or so pockets on both sides, that hangs up - perfect for jewelry and earrings.

Remember - don't bring anything you can't ship home from San Diego - if it is not worth the cost.

See you all very soon!

2 comments:

  1. Great suggestions, Janna! I've also put some together, in my typically long-winded style I'm afraid, on my own blog: http://marsea05.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-06-18T09%3A38%3A00-07%3A00. Folks might find that useful as well.
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After thinking about the recent C'Ville SAS evening gathering, I thought I would post a couple of coffee makers that are ultra portable and economical. The first is the standard filtercone, pour-over brewer from Melitta. These (or similar from another brand) run $3-4 in stores. They sit on top of a mug and folder a cone filter -- simple enough. The drawback is that the water often drains through to the mug too quickly. This is the standard coffee maker for backpackers and would be sold at outfitters or, here in Charlottesville, Food of All Nations.

    The second brewer is a variation on the first but with the addition of a valve that allows controlled brewing time. It is sold by Sweet Maria's, a green bean and coffee roasting equipment seller.

    Hope this helps someone that is looking for a coffee solution that can travel anywhere. See every in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete